Simply On A Budget
Easy As $1 $2 $3
Food can be expensive, which is why we put together this collection of budget-friendly recipes that you can feel good about. We'll show you how you can eat each meal for around $1, $2 or $3 per serving!
Many of these recipes share ingredients, so make the most of your money by choosing meals where you can use leftover items. If you can’t, we’ll also show you how to freeze them for later!
SAVVY WAYS TO SAVE AT SCHNUCKS
Have Schnucks cook your fresh seafood FOR FREE! You get to choose the dry rub or marinade and we will cook it while you shop. You don’t need to purchase seasonings or cooking oil and we do the dishes!
Look for manager’s specials—typically food we’ve made or bought too much of, that comes with a great price! They’re the perfect choice for dinner tonight—Or stock up and enjoy for the next couple of days while reveling in the savings!
Start with one easy swap (our most popular is Schnucks shredded cheese) and before you know it, you will be trying many of our thousands of Schnucks brand products and saving LOTS of money along the way. Just look for the red dot!
From money-saving Rewards Points and exclusive coupons to our time-saving shopping list, the Schnucks Rewards app will change the way you shop! With Schnucks Rewards, for every $100 you spend, you’ll get $2 to use on your next shopping trip! Be sure to keep an eye out for Points events and ways to earn extra Points.
Discover hundreds of weekly, exclusive digital coupons! Look for over 100 new coupons every week that can be searched and sorted by category. Clip, shop and save with a single touch. Shopping will never be the same.
Go (do)nuts for Donuts after Dark! Purchase donuts, bagels and rolls after 8 p.m. for just 50 cents. Don’t worry about freshness because these goodies are made fresh in store daily!
In addition to seafood, we will also season your meat for you! Stop by the butcher counter and choose your seasoning— then cook or grill at home and feast!
Use The Big Box to plan your menu for the week. For only $19.96, each box is packed with a variety of fresh, never-frozen meats prepared daily by our butchers. You can always freeze the extra!
Watch for weekly promos in our print and digital ad. Every week you will find special promotions that will keep extra money in your pocket. Better yet, plan your meals around what is on sale at your local Schnucks.
- Never defrost food at room temperature.
- Use the refrigerator, submerge in cold water or defrost in the microwave depending on how quickly you need to thaw your food.
- You can refreeze food once it has been cooked. However, you should never place an uncooked item back in the freezer after thawing.
- Divide leftovers among individual containers and freeze for quick meal options later. Simply Done storage bags and containers are a budget-friendly option for freezer storage!
- Label everything with the date and type of food so you know what it is and when to use it by.
- Wrap meat and seafood in plastic wrap for a tight seal.
- Cut down on prep time later by adding uncooked meat to a marinade before freezing.
- Freeze produce in a single layer on a sheet pan before adding to containers so it doesn’t freeze together.
- The earlier you freeze, the better—you can’t save food that’s past its prime. Chop large produce and freeze in small quantities, but leave a little room inside the container (food will expand).
These foods do not fare as well as others in the freezer.
- Gravies and creamy sauces
- Fruits and vegetables with high water content: celery, cucumbers, lettuce, watermelon, etc.
- Fully cooked pasta
- Dairy products such as yogurt, soft cheeses and sour cream
- Raw and hard-boiled eggs
- Anything carbonated
- Soft herbs like cilantro and basil (can still be frozen in water, oil or butter.)
WILL IT LAST?
Select an item from the dropdown and see how long it can last in the freezer.