The Russian comfort classic gets a flavor-packed upgrade thanks to red wine, fresh dill and perfectly cooked Certified Angus Beef flat iron steaks.
- 1 (8 oz.) container Schnucks sour cream
- 2 tbsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup Schnucks olive oil, divided
- 2 medium sweet yellow onions, chopped
- 1 lb. mixed sliced mushrooms (such as shiitake, button or cremini)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup unsalted beef stock
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks unsalted butter
- 4 Certified Angus Beef flat iron steaks (about 1/2 lb. each)
- 12 oz. dried Schnucks Kluski Noodles
- chopped fresh dill, to serve (if desired)
- In a small bowl whisk together sour cream and black pepper until mixture becomes slightly thinner in consistency. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook about 10 minutes or until softened and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 5–8 minutes more. Stir in wine and stock, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add thyme sprig, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until most of liquid has cooked off. Remove thyme sprig, add butter and stir until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Remove mixture from pan and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, remove steaks from refrigerator and allow to reach room temperature. Prepare noodles according to package directions. Toss cooked noodles with mushroom mixture and keep warm.
- Wipe skillet clean and return to range with remaining oil; heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season steaks with salt and pepper, if desired. Working in batches if necessary, cook steaks until desired doneness. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Slice against the grain.
- Serve noodle mixture topped with peppered sour cream, sliced steak and fresh dill, if desired.
709 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 12G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.