Enjoy the season of fall flavors with this turkey sausage stuffed acorn squash.
- 2 medium acorn squashes, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 oz. ground turkey sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups hot cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme, plus additional for serving
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, plus additional for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To a greased large baking dish, arrange squash, flesh side up. Brush with olive oil; sprinkle with pepper. Bake 40–45 minutes or until squash is fork-tender
- To a large, hot skillet, add turkey and onion. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, 6–8 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add spinach, quinoa, broth, garlic, thyme and rosemary. Cook, stirring frequently, 2–3 minutes or until bubbly and heated through, season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Divide sausage mixture evenly over squash halves and top with cheese. Bake 4–5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- To serve, garnish with additional thyme and cheese, if desired.
451 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 7G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.