This soup embodies the simplicity of summer and celebrates the sweet freshness of vine-ripened tomatoes.
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 sprigs basil
- 2 (24.5 oz) bottles Mutti® Tomato Puree (Passata)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, very thinly sliced (chiffonade)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, 8 minutes. With kitchen string, tie the basil sprigs together. Add basil sprigs, tomato puree, and chicken stock to the onions. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until it slightly thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Remove the basil and discard. Season with salt to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with basil strips.
Soup can be made up to one day in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve. If so, heat the soup over medium heat until hot, for 5 minutes.
116 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 0.4G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.