Make your own ice cream to serve with your favorite fall flavored desserts.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 medium ripe sweet apples, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp. molasses or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk, divided (heavy cream or half-and-half for richer flavor)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apples and sauté 6–8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon and vanilla. Sauté 3–4 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups milk, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 9–10 minutes or until just bubbling (do not boil). Stir in remaining milk; let cool.
- Pour milk mixture into a large freezer bag and press all of the air out. Seal and place flat in the freezer. Freeze completely, 6–8 hours.
- Crumble the frozen mixture into a blender (or food processor) and mix until smooth. With blender still running, mix in apple mixture.
- Transfer to a storage container and return to freezer. Freeze at least 4 hours before serving.
240 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 4G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.