Scratch-made gnocchi is not only easy, but also more affordable than its prepared counterpart from the pasta aisle. Pair it with our own salsiccia sausage and whichever fresh greens are on sale for the very best value on this veggie-forward fare.
- 2 cups Gold Medal flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked, mashed and cooled (about 3 cups)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks vegetable oil, divided
- 1 jumbo yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch fresh greens (such as kale or mustard greens), chopped
- 4 Schnucks sweet Italian salsiccia sausage links, cooked and sliced
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks shredded Parmesan cheese (if desired)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt; form a well in center. Add potatoes and egg to well; gently knead by hand to form a dough. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit 20 minutes.
- On a floured surface, make gnocchi by rolling dough into 3/4-inch thick ropes and cutting into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook about 3 minutes or until all are floating. Drain then toss with 1 tablespoon oil; set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onion and crushed red pepper; sauté until softened, 2–3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the gnocchi. Cook 3–5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add greens to skillet and cook about 2 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add sausage and toss to combine. Serve topped with cheese, if using.
654 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 4G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.