This recipe is bun-derful.
- Combine the hot water, saffron and yeast and let sit for 10 minutes Until the saffron softens and until the yeast becomes frothy.
- Mix and knead together by hand or using a mixer, the saffron water, yeast, milk, sugar, butter, salt, egg, egg yolk, and flour to make a soft, elastic dough. Gently knead into ball and set aside, covered with a cloth, in warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Prepare 2 baking sheets, by covering each with a sheet of parchment paper. Lightly flour a work surface, punch down the dough, then divide into 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope, 5-6" long.
- With the rope lying flat on the work surface, roll each end toward the center, in opposite directions, creating a curled S-shape. Place the buns on the prepared baking sheets and garnish with cranberries. Cover with a towel and allow to rise for an additional 30 minutes while oven preheats to 425°F.
- Gently brush each bun with beaten egg, sprinkle with salt, then bake in the oven until puffed and golden, 5-10 minutes.
316 Calories Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 4G