Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and pure vanilla extract make this twist on the traditional sugar cookie absolutely irresistible. Ready in less than half an hour, these delectable holiday cookies are perfect with a thin layer of colorful cookie icing using your choice of McCormick Food Color and a teaspoon of vanilla.
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. McCormick Cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp. McCormick Nutmeg, ground
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tsp. McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract (divided)
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 - 4 tsp. milk
- 3 - 4 drops McCormick Assorted Food Colors and Egg Dye
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Mix flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and 2 teaspoons vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed.
- Roll out dough on generously floured surface to 1/4" thickness. Cut into shapes with your favorite holiday cookie cutters. Place on un-greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges start to brown lightly. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- For the Icing, mix confectioner's sugar, milk and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. (Stir in additional milk as needed to thin icing or more confectioners' sugar to thicken, if needed.) Place small amount of icing into small shallow bowls, using one bowl for each color desired. Stir drops of food color into icing until desired shade is reached.
- To ice cookies, hold cookie by its edge and dip top of cookie into icing. (Or spoon the icing onto cookie using a teaspoon.) Place iced cookies on wire rack set over foil-covered baking sheet to dry. (The foil-covered baking sheet will catch drips.) To add decorative details to cookies, spoon tinted icing into resealable plastic bag. Snip off a tiny piece of the corner. Squeeze icing through hole in plastic bag to decorate cookies. If desired, Colored Sugar may be sprinkled onto freshly iced cookies.
184 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 28MG
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.