Let’s taco bout these delicious chicken soft tacos from Schnucks.
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 1/2 lb. bone-in split chicken breasts
- 4 cups wood chips
- 2 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. Schnucks garlic powder
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 orange, red or yellow bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 12 soft taco flour tortillas, warmed
- 3 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1 can (15 oz.) Schnucks black beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1 cup Schnucks sour cream
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- In medium saucepan or large bowl, stir salt and 2 quarts cold water until salt dissolves. With skewer, poke several holes in skin side of chicken. Add chicken to salt brine; cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 4 hours, turning chicken once halfway through brining. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels; discard brine.
- In bowl, cover wood chips with warm water; soak as label directs. Prepare outdoor grill for indirect grilling over medium heat. In small bowl, mix chile powder, coriander, garlic powder and black pepper; sprinkle on both sides of chicken.
- Drain wood chips; place 2 cups wood chips on each of two 12-inch square sheets aluminum foil. Loosely wrap foil around wood chips; with skewer, poke holes in foil to vent. Place 1 foil packet under grill rack over lit burner. Place chicken, bone side down, on hot grill rack over unlit part of grill; cover and cook 1 hour. Replace used foil packet with second foil packet; rotate chicken and add peppers, cut side down, over unlit part of grill. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F. Transfer chicken and peppers to cutting board; loosely tent with foil and let stand 15 minutes.
- With fingers, pull chicken off bones in long, bite-size shreds; thinly slice bell peppers.
- Evenly divide chicken into tortillas; evenly top with lettuce, beans, queso fresco, sour cream, avocado, cilantro and bell peppers. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce, if desired
752 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 11G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.