Braise your brisket in tomatoes and brown for a sweet and savory flavor.
- 1 (4-5 lb.) brisket
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 onions, halved and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. Schnucks Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 (28 oz.) can Schnucks crushed tomatoes
- Combine flour, salt and pepper and evenly coat brisket with flour mixture. In large heavy-bottom pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and sear brisket on all sides for about 5 minutes per side until a golden crust forms.
- Transfer brisket to large plate or platter and add onion and garlic to pot. Stirring frequently, scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of pan and cook onions until translucent. Stir in Cajun seasoning and smoked paprika.
- Add brisket and juices back to pot and nestle on top of the onions. Add brown sugar and crushed tomatoes, making sure to coat the brisket. Cover and braise in oven for 2 hours.
- Carefully remove from oven and transfer brisket to cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice brisket into 1/4-inch slices making sure to cut against the grain. Place brisket back in pot and spoon the tomato braising liquid between slices.
- Cover and reduce oven temperature to 325°F and cook for another hour or until brisket is fork tender. Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes before serving.
- To serve, remove brisket from pot and arrange slices on platter. Drizzle with braising liquid or serve sauce on the side.
384 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 5G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.