Let your slow cooker do the work to make this one-pot meal complete with beef chuck roast, Yukon gold potatoes, carrots and gravy.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 (4 lb.) beef chuck roast or round roast
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary, plus additional for serving
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, plus additional for serving
- 2 lb. small Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup milk
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Season roast with salt and black pepper then sear 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned. Transfer to slow cooker.
- To the same pot, add remaining olive oil and onions. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute more. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker, over top of the roast. Layer potatoes and carrots over onion mixture.
- To the same pot, add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary and oregano. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds to loosen up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and pour broth evenly over vegetables in the slow cooker. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove potatoes from slow cooker with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl. Add milk and mash to desired consistency. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Loosely shred roast and serve with vegetables over mashed potatoes. Top with gravy (see recipe notes); sprinkle with additional rosemary and oregano, if desired.
For Beef Gravy
Pour broth from slow cooker through a fine mesh strainer into a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes, or until thickened.
463 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 4G