Spice up your life with this slow cooker recipe.
- 1 bag (16 ounces) dried black beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) Schnucks diced mild green chiles
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) Schnucks taco seasoning mix
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 lime
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves plus additional for garnish (optional)
- In colander, rinse beans with cold water; discard any shriveled beans. In large saucepot, add beans and enough water to cover by 2 inches; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain beans.
- In 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine beans, undrained chiles, broth, taco seasoning, garlic and onion. Cover with lid and cook on high 4-1/2 to 5 hours or on low 9 to 10 hours or until beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice as label directs.
- Just before serving, from lime, squeeze 1 tablespoon juice. Stir cilantro and lime juice into beans. Serve beans over rice sprinkled with additional cilantro, if desired. Makes about 7 cups beans and 4 cups rice.
386 Calories Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 1G