Black bean relish makes anything more delicious, especially seared scallops.
- 3 limes
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 12 jumbo sea scallops, thawed and patted dry
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ear of corn, silk and husk removed, kernels cut from cob or 1 cup Schnucks frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- fresh chives, to garnish
- From limes, squeeze 3 tablespoons juice. In small bowl, with whisk, stir 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon garlic and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Remove small tough muscle on side of scallops, if necessary. Place scallops in large zip-tight plastic bag; pour lime juice mixture into bag. Seal bag, pressing out excess air; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine beans, corn, red peppers, onion, cilantro, jalapeño and remaining garlic.
- In small bowl, with whisk, stir vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, 2 tablespoons oil and remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice.
- Pour vinegar mixture over bean mixture and toss to combine; fold in avocado. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove scallops from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle scallops with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In 12" skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking.
- In 2 batches, cook scallops 4-6 minutes or until golden brown, opaque in center and internal temperature reaches 145°F, turning once halfway through cooking.
- Serve scallops over Black Bean Relish garnished with chives, if desire
Using oil with a high smoke point, such as grapeseed oil, is best for this recipe. The smoke point refers to the temperature at which a cooking fat or oil begins to break down. Canola or vegetable oil are other suitable oils to use for this recipe.
394 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 3G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.