You’ll have the resist the urge to smash these into your mouth.
- 4 tbsp. Schnucks vegetable oil, divided
- 2 sweet bell peppers, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs. Schnucks ground salsiccia sausage
- 8 slices Schnucks mozzarella cheese
- 4 bakery buns, split and toasted
- marinara sauce, to serve
- Prepare grill for medium-high direct heat. Place an ovenproof griddle, flat side up, on grate to preheat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to griddle and heat until shimmering. Sauté peppers and onion 8–10 minutes or until browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Remove peppers and onion; set aside.
- Gently shape sausage into eight equal spheres. Add remaining oil to griddle and heat until shimmering. Place sausage portions on griddle and smash flat with a grill press or spatula, working in batches if necessary. Season with salt and pepper; cook undisturbed about 2 minutes or until outer edges are brown. Flip patties, top with cheese and sautéed vegetables, cover and cook 2 minutes more or until sausage is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Evenly divide prepared burgers, cheese, sautéed vegetables and marinara sauce among toasted buns. Serve immediately.
You don't need fancy gear to turn your grill into an outstanding outdoor kitchen; any ovenproof pots, pans and griddles can be placed right on the grates, opening up endless possibilities for boiling, steaming, frying and sautéing. The same goes for cooking utensils; just make sure they're heatproof and long enough to keep your hands away from the flame. One of our favorite cooking combos is a griddle and a grill press, which is what we use to make this perfectly crispy, extra-juicy salsiccia smash burger.
871 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 19G