Roasted garlic gives turkey a savory flavor.
Herb Seasoning Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice ¼" off top of garlic heads. Place garlic, cut side up, in foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap garlic in foil to seal. Place on rimmed baking pan and roast 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out garlic into small bowl.
- Increase heat to 400°F. From lemon, grate peel and squeeze juice into separate bowls. Mash garlic with 1½ teaspoons lemon juice, ½ teaspoon lemon peel, 6 tablespoons butter, thyme and 1½ teaspoons Herb Seasoning. Remove neck and giblets from turkey; reserve. Tuck wing tips under to hold in place. Work your fingers in between the skin and breast to loosen skin. Evenly distribute garlic mixture under skin.
- Sprinkle 2½ tablespoons herb seasoning inside turkey cavity; fill with some vegetables. Place any remaining vegetables, neck and giblets in large roasting pan. Melt remaining butter and mix with remaining herb seasoning. Gently rub mixture over turkey skin. Place turkey in roasting pan on top of vegetables, neck and giblets.
- Roast turkey 15 to 20 minutes or until outside is browned. Reduce heat to 325°F. Roast 2 hours longer or until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 165°F, rotating turkey halfway through roasting time. Transfer turkey from roasting pan to cutting board and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- Place roasting pan with drippings and vegetables over medium heat; whisk in flour and simmer 5 minutes. Whisk in wine; simmer 5 minutes. Add broth; simmer 20 minutes, whisking occasionally. Strain sauce though fine-mesh strainer and serve with turkey.
755 Calories Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 19G