Stacked with savory flavors, these potato pancakes make the most of your leftover mashed potatoes.
- 1/4 cup Schnucks vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (14-16 oz.) pkg. smoked sausage
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried), plus more to serve
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 cup flour, divided
- 1 (14 oz.) can beef broth
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 medium potato, peeled, grated and drained of any excess liquid
- 1 cup Cheesy Mashed Potatoes (see recipe notes) or mashed potatoes of choice
- 3/4 cup Schnucks milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook 6–8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through. Transfer sausage to a cutting board, let cool and slice into 1 inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, add onion and mushrooms to remaining oil in the skillet and sauté 5–7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute more. Add 2 tablespoons flour and gently stir until there are no lumps.
- Add broth, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar to skillet. Bring mixture to a boil. Return sausage to skillet, reduce heat to low and simmer 8–10 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine grated potato, mashed potatoes, remaining flour, milk and salt. Season with black pepper, if desired.
- On a large flat griddle or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium heat. For each pancake, spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture onto skillet and spread to about 3 inch diameter. Cook 4–6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through.
- Serve potato pancakes topped with onion-mustard gravy and sausage. Garnish with additional thyme leaves, if desired.
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Scrub potatoes, pat dry and prick all over with a fork. Bake 50–60 minutes or until very tender. Let cool and cut each potato lengthwise. Scoop out white portion and discard skins. Add potatoes to a large bowl and mash until smooth. Stir in milk, butter and cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes
- 3/4 cup Schnucks milk
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks butter
- 1 cup Schnucks shredded Cheddar cheese
521 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 10G