There’s nothing better than a breakfast casserole.
- Schnucks nonstick cooking spray
- 8 slices Schnucks hardwood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Schnucks vitamin D whole milk
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup Schnucks shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 Schnucks large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 13 x 9" glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray. In 4-5 quart saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until bacon is crisp, stirring frequently; discard bacon drippings.
- To same saucepan with bacon, add broth, milk, butter, thyme, salt and black pepper; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. With whisk, gradually stir in cornmeal until incorporated; reduce heat to medium-low and cook 4-5 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, roasted red peppers and onions.
- Evenly spread polenta mixture in prepared dish. With back of large spoon, make 8 evenly spaced wells in polenta mixture. Bake 15 minutes. Remove dish from oven and press polenta again with back of spoon to make wells large enough to hold eggs.
- Carefully crack eggs, 1 at a time, into small cup. Slowly slide 1 egg into each well; cover with aluminum foil. Bake 15-18 minutes longer or to desired doneness; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 squares to serve.
381 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 11G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.