Carrot cakes go mini this Easter with Pineapple & Carrot Cupcakes with Candied Carrots. Top with toasted coconut for a more tropical taste to compliment the delicious addition of pineapple in these cupcakes.
- 1 (15.25 oz.) box spice cake mix
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- vegetable oil, for boxed cake instructions
- eggs, for boxed cake instructions
- 4 large peeled carrots, divided
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16 oz.) container cream cheese frosting
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven according to cake mix package directions. In a large bowl combine cake mix, pineapple, coconut and pecans. Add water, oil and eggs according to cake mix package directions. Grate 2 carrots into bowl and stir to combine. Divide batter among two 12-cup muffin tins and bake according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool completely.
- Lower oven temperature to 200 degrees. Using a vegetable peeler, peel remaining carrots into long ribbons. In a large saucepan bring 2 cups each sugar and water to a boil. Add carrots, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15–20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove carrots from pan using a slotted spoon and lay flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 25–30 minutes or until carrots begin to look translucent.
- When carrots are just cool enough to handle (but still hot), work quickly to curl carrot ribbons around a wooden spoon handle, immediately sliding curls off of handle and placing back onto parchment. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and let stand to cool and dry at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine frosting, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Beat with an electric mixer to combine. Beat in powdered sugar, adding more if necessary.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a star tip (or a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off) and pipe frosting onto tops of cupcakes. Garnish with candied carrots. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 5 days.
TIME SAVER TIP
Top cupcakes with toasted coconut instead of candied carrots to skip steps 3 - 5.
443 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 4G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.