When you’re in the mood for something hearty, yet meatless, this fresh-tasting pasta dish is just the ticket.
- Kosher salt
- 10 oz. penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus additional if needed
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced (about 6 1/2 cups)
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced lengthwise (about 4 1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz.) can Mutti® Finely Chopped Tomatoes (Polpa)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 oz. crumbled ricotta salata (about 1 cup)
- basil leaves, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to package directions until al dente. Save 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Drain the penne, return to the pot, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until it begins to soften, adding more oil if necessary, to prevent sticking, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the onions, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the pasta water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pot with the penne and toss until well combined. Add the remaining 1/2 cup pasta water if the mixture is too thick. Adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the penne mixture among serving bowls. Top with the crumbled ricotta salata and basil and serve.
580 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 5.5G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.