The ones who say you shouldn’t play with your food obviously never had Pastel Bagels with Cream Cheese Frosting!
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (120–130 degrees)
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 4 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- vegetable oil
- pink and purple gel food coloring
- 1 (16 oz.) container cream cheese frosting
- decorating sugar or sprinkles, to serve
- In a small bowl stir together water, sugar and yeast. Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups flour, salt and the yeast mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, then beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead in enough flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6–8 minutes total). Grease a large bowl with vegetable oil. Place the dough into the bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- After dough has risen, punch it down and divide it in half. Wearing food-safe disposable gloves, dye each portion of dough with a few drops of food coloring, kneading until a uniform color is achieved. Keep dough covered when not kneading to maintain moisture.
- Divide each half into three pieces (six total). Roll each portion into an 8- to 10-inch rope and combine the ropes to make a log. Twist log to swirl the colors then cut into 12 equal portions. Shape into smooth balls.
- Cover dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Punch a hole in the center of each ball. Pull center of dough gently and evenly to make a 2-inch hole. Cover bagels with a damp towel and let rise 30 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring a very large pot of water to a boil. Working in batches, boil bagels about 1 minute, turning once halfway through. Place boiled bagels onto a greased sheet pan and bake 15–20 minutes or until just starting to brighten in color but not brown, turning once halfway through. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, halve bagels and toast if desired. Spread cut sides with cream cheese frosting and top with decorating sugar or sprinkles.
377 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 2G