This recipe is a chocolate lover’s dream, with layers of rich, moist cake, and decadent fudge frosting.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Schnucks granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. Schnucks cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Schnucks vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups black coffee
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (for frosting)
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (for frosting)
- 1/2 cup shortening (for frosting)
- 1/2 cup warm water, divided (for frosting)
- 1 tsp. Schnucks vanilla extract (for frosting)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for frosting)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees; grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans or one 13x9-inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda and cinnamon, stirring to blend well.
- Add oil, vanilla and warm coffee. Stir well to combine, 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, stirring well to make sure there are no large lumps of flour in the batter. Rest 5 minutes to allow baking soda and vinegar to react and foam up a little.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Begin instructions for frosting icing: In a large bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 1/4 cups of cocoa powder with a whisk, 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup of warm water, shortening and 1 tsp. vanilla extract, then whisk to combine until smooth, 3–5 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining warm water one spoonful at a time, whisking to combine, until icing reaches the right consistency for spreading.
- Assemble cooled cake, spreading icing in an even layer, as desired. Refrigerate before slicing, minimum 30 minutes, until ready to serve.
597 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 5G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.