Nothing beats a good old-fashioned apple pie.
For Pie Dough
For Apple Filling
- Prepare Pie Dough: In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse flour and salt until combined. Scatter butter and shortening over flour mixture; pulse until butter and shortening are cut into the flour. The mixture should look like pea-sized crumbs.
- Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing twice after each addition until mixture holds together when pinched between fingers. Turn dough onto work surface; shape dough into 2 equal disks. Wrap disks with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to a day ahead.
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil; place in oven to preheat. Let dough stand at room temperature 5 minutes or until soft enough to roll.
- Meanwhile, prepare Apple Filling: In small bowl, stir together sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. From lemon, squeeze 1 tablespoon juice into large bowl. Peel, core and cut apples into ½" thick slices. You should have about 8 cups sliced apples. Toss apples with lemon juice; sprinkle with sugar mixture and toss until apples are evenly coated.
- Unwrap 1 disk of dough. Lightly dust work surface, rolling pin and top of dough with flour. Using firm, consistent strokes, roll dough from center outward to about ⅛" thick and 12-13" across for a 9-inch pie plate, occasionally turning dough a quarter turn to make sure it is not sticking. Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and place into pie plate. Press dough lightly onto bottom and sides of plate. Spread apple filling into prepared pie crust; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining disk to same size as first. Roll dough around pin and place over filling; with scissors, trim edges of both top and bottom dough together, leaving a ¾" overhang. Fold excess top crust under bottom crust and flute edges to form a tight seal.
- In small bowl, with whisk, beat egg and cream until smooth. With small basting brush, brush top of pie with 2-3 tablespoons egg mixture, just until covered. With paring knife, cut four 2" vents in top crust. Place pie on preheated pan in oven. Bake pie 55-65 minutes or until filling bubbles in center and top is golden brown. Cool pie on wire rack 2-3 hours to serve warm, or cool completely.
462 Calories Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 12G