Serve this Nigerian-inspired rice as a side or add cooked meat, fish and/or vegetables to make it the main course.
Send this recipe as a care package by using the assembly list below. For more information on how to ship a care package to ensure they arrive as intended, see our A Taste of Home blog post for instructions.
- 2 cups Schnucks unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. habanero or scotch bonnet hot sauce
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup local long-grain white or brown rice
- In a blender or food processor combine stock, tomato, bell pepper, onion, garlic and hot sauce (or chili pepper) and process until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add blended vegetable mixture, Cajun seasoning, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stir in rice and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until rice is al dente, about 25 minutes. Add a splash of water if rice begins to dry out. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Craft a Care Package
- Dutch oven, to prepare rice
- 1 (32 oz.) box Schnucks unsalted vegetable stock
- Jar filled with 1 1/4 cups local rice, such as Castor River Farms long-grain white or brown rice
- Produce: 1 large tomato, 1 medium onion, 1 head of garlic
- 1 bottle scotch bonnet or habanero hot sauce
- Jar of spices: 2 tbsp. salt-free Cajun seasoning, 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, 1 bay leaf
- Schnucks gift card to purchase remaining items for recipe
- Recipe card (print this recipe)
180 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 0G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.