Swap the lemon twist for a peppermint stick for a fresh twist on this classic drink.
- boiling water
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 lemon twist
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 2 oz. bourbon, rye whiskey, Irish whiskey or scotch
- Warm mug by filling with boiling water and let stand for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stud the lemon twist with cloves by pushing the cloves into the twist and set aside.
- Empty the mug and fill halfway with fresh boiling water.
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Add studded lemon twist and stir.
- Add lemon juice and whiskey. Stir again. Enjoy.
How to Make a Lemon Twist With a Bar Spoon and Knife
- Trim ends of the lemon
- Insert a bar spoon between the pulp and the rind and follow along the entire edge to separate from the rind, keeping the rind whole
- Slice the rind in half once, lengthwise
- Use a bar spoon once more to scrape extra white pith
- Roll the lemon peel up and thinly slice with a knife
How to Make a Lemon Twist With Only a Knife
- Slice lemon width-wise into medallions
- Cut around the edge of the pulp to separate from the rind
- Slice one side to create a long peel
- Twist the peel into a curly shape using a marker or cooking utensil handle