Nothing says comfort quite like a big pot of chicken and dumplings. In this easy, economical recipe, our fresh-made rotisserie chicken works double-duty—not only as the main protein but also as the base for a simple stock that adds tons of extra flavor with little added cost. Served with dumplings made from a few pantry staples, this meal is all about stretching your dollar in the most delicious way possible.
- 1 Schnucks rotisserie chicken, shredded, bones reserved, skin discarded
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced and divided
- 6 tbsp. Schnucks unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 (12 oz.) pkg. Schnucks freshly frozen peas and carrots
- 1 1/3 cup Gold Medal flour, divided
- 1/2 tbsp. chicken seasoning
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup Schnucks 2% milk
- chopped fresh parsley, to serve (if desired)
- In a large pot combine chicken bones, carrot, celery, bay leaf, half of onion and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer at least 1 hour. Pour through a strainer to remove and discard solids; set stock aside.
- Wipe pot clean and return to range over medium heat. Melt 5 tablespoons butter; add onion and sauté 4–5 minutes or until softened. Stir in 1/3 cup flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return stock to pot along with chicken seasoning; cook, stirring frequently, 5–6 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken and frozen vegetables. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- In a medium bowl combine remaining flour and baking powder. Cut remaining butter into the mixture with a fork or pastry blender. Add milk and stir to combine.
- Drop 4 heaping spoonfuls of dough into the pot and cover; cook 8–10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Discard any leftover dough or make additional dumplings. Serve topped with chopped parsley, if using.
640 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 17G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.