Ketchup is better when it’s homemade.
- 1 1/2 tsp. Schnucks olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. dry ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine or Schnucks apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- In 2- to 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, in cup, add garlic, ground mustard, paprika, salt, chili powder and pepper; add spices to onions and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add tomatoes with their juice, vinegar, brown sugar and tomato paste and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 40 to 45 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer tomato mixture to blender with center part of lid removed to allow steam to escape; puree until smooth. Transfer ketchup to bowl; cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 5 days before serving.
30 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 1G