Schnucks Harvest Chili recipe includes comforting seasonal favorites like squash, apples and sage, making this chicken chili a new fall favorite.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lb. ground chicken
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 carton (32 oz.) chicken stock
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken; cook 5-6 minutes, strain excess juice and return to pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the squash, chili powder, cayenne and desired amount of salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock, diced tomatoes and tomato paste, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Cook apples for 4-5 minutes, until light brown.
- Add the apples, beans and sage to the chili. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, until apples are tender. Stir in the green onions and parsley, let cool and serve.