Get grilling with this tasty summer favorite!
- 1 whole (unsliced) Pride of the Farm pork butt, trimmed is desired
- 1/2 cup A.1.® cracked peppercorn or bold original dry rub
- 1 tbsp. Schnucks olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp. refrigerated Gourmet Garden™ chunky garlic blend or minced fresh garlic
- 2 cup bourbon whiskey
- 2 and 1/4 cups barbecue sauce
- Place pork in 13 x 9" glass or metal baking dish. Rub pork all over with dry rub. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Prepare outdoor grill for indirect grilling over medium-low to medium heat (grill temperature should be maintained at 325°F). Place pork, fat side up, on unlit part of grill. Cover and cook 4½ to 5 hours or until internal temperature reaches 190°F
- Meanwhile, in 2-3 quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, thyme and garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until onion begins to soften, stirring frequently. Add whiskey and heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Boil 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup. Add barbecue sauce and cook over low heat 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Transfer pork to large bowl. Trim off and discard desired amount of fat. Remove bone. With 2 forks, shred pork. Stir in sauce. Makes about 12 cups.
Pork can be prepared in a 325°F oven. Prepare pork through step 1 with fat side up in Dutch oven. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until internal temperature reaches 190°F. Transfer pork to large bowl. Pour liquid from Dutch oven into large bowl. Let stand 1 minute to allow fat to rise to top. Skim off 1 tablespoon fat to use instead of oil in step 3. Skim off and discard any remaining fat. Pour remaining liquid into 2- to 3-quart saucepan; heat to boiling over high heat. Boil 8 to 10 minutes or until reduced to about 1 cup. Pour liquid into sauce.
770 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 15G