This classy drink was developed in the 1920s and was even featured in the classic movie, Casablanca.
- 2 tbsp. gin
- 1 tbsp. agave nectar or simple syrup
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. orange flavored liqueur, such as Cointreau or Grand Marnier®
- 1/2 cup Champagne or Prosecco
- twist of lemon peel, for garnish
- Into cocktail shaker filled with ice, add gin, agave, lemon juice and liqueur; shake vigorously until frost forms on outside of shaker.
- Strain gin mixture into Champagne flute or cocktail glass.
- Add additional ice, if desired; top with Champagne and garnish with lemon twist, if desired.
How to Make a Lemon Twist With a Bar Spoon and Knife
- Trim ends of the lemon
- Insert a bar spoon between the pulp and the rind and follow along the entire edge to separate from the rind, keeping the rind whole
- Slice the rind in half once, lengthwise
- Use a bar spoon once more to scrape extra white pith
- Roll the lemon peel up and thinly slice with a knife
How to Make a Lemon Twist With Only a Knife
- Slice lemon width-wise into medallions
- Cut around the edge of the pulp to separate from the rind
- Slice one side to create a long peel
- Twist the peel into a curly shape using a marker or cooking utensil handle