This dish is perfect as a brunch or summer dinner entrée.
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 (14 oz.) cans Mutti Finely Chopped Tomatoes (Polpa)
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- toasted bread or focaccia
- Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat until it ripples. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 1 minute. Remove the garlic and discard. Add the onions and cook, stirring until soft and translucent, 8 minutes.
- Add the Finely Chopped Tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes and salt to taste. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Check the thickness by pulling a wooden spoon across the bottom of the pan and if it stays separated, it’s done.
- Make 8 indentations in the sauce. Break the eggs, one by one, into a teacup, and with the spoon, add one egg into each indentation. Cover and cook until the whites of the eggs are firm but the yolks are still runny, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Dividing evenly, spoon the tomato sauce and two eggs onto each plate and sprinkle with Parmigiano and torn basil. Serve immediately with toasted bread or focaccia.
407 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 6.1G