Crispy outside, soft inside, this meaty eggplant is the perfect substitution for the traditional veal meal.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Schnucks panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large local eggplant, sliced into 1-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 cup Schnucks vegetable oil
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Add flour, eggs and breadcrumbs to three separate shallow bowls. Whisk 1 tablespoon cold water into eggs until well combined. Season breadcrumbs with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place a baking rack onto a sheet pan. Dredge eggplant slices in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then coat with breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere. Transfer to baking rack.
- Heat oil in a large, high-sided pan over medium heat. Working in batches, add eggplant to pan and cook until golden and crisp, 3–4 minutes per side.
- Remove baking rack from sheet pan and line with paper towels. Transfer cooked eggplant to the paper-towel-lined pan and let drain. Season with salt, if desired. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
333 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 4G