Try a Schnucks twist on a classic bread pudding!
- Schnucks nonstick cooking spray
- 1 loaf presliced or unsliced Schnucks Bakery Cape Cod raisin bread, cut or torn into 1" cubes
- 6 cups Schnucks half-and-half
- 6 Schnucks large egg yolks
- 3 Schnucks large eggs
- 1 cup Schnucks granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. Schnucks pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Schnucks unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed Schnucks light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Spray 13 x 9" glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread bread evenly in prepared baking dish.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat half-and-half over medium-high heat until it steams but does not boil. (Or, heat in microwave-safe bowl in microwave oven on high 3 to 4 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, with whisk, beat egg yolks and eggs until very smooth and foamy. Add sugar and salt and stir until sugar dissolves. Very slowly pour warm half-and-half into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread, pressing to make sure bread is covered in as much liquid as possible. Loosely cover dish with aluminum foil; let stand at room temperature up to 45 minutes or refrigerate up to 1 day ahead.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Bake bread pudding, loosely covered in foil, 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until center is set, top is lightly browned and bread pudding puffs. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce. In 1- to 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. With whisk, stir in brown sugar and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in whiskey. Makes about 1 cup. Serve bread pudding warm with whiskey sauce and whipped cream, if desired.
Use your leftover egg whites for omelets, meringues and macaroons. Or, freeze them in ice cube trays, transfer to a zip-tight plastic bag, then thaw as needed to brush over biscuits or pie crust, or dip chicken or pork into whites before breading and frying.
413 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 11G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.