Bechamel, Gruyere and a fried egg elevate the humble ham & cheese sandwich from ordinary to extraordinary. While it may look like a sandwich, the Croque Madame is a knife and fork meal. We recommend breaking the yolk first to get gooey goodness in every bite!
- 6 tbsp. Schnucks unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz. shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks Dijon mustard
- 12 oz. sliced deli ham
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. To make bechamel, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt and pepper; whisk until combined. Whisk in milk and nutmeg, add bay leaf and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened and bubbly. Discard bay leaf. Remove from heat, stir in 1 cup cheese and set aside.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter on one side of each bread slice and arrange, butter-side down, on a sheet pan. Spread mustard on half of the bread slices and top with ham. Evenly divide 1/2 cup cheese among remaining bread slices.
- Bake on the bottom rack 4–5 minutes or until bread has toasted and cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, fry eggs in remaining butter until desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Remove sheet pan from oven and preheat broiler. Evenly spread half of the bechamel over ham, then top with remaining bread slices, cheese-side down, to make sandwiches.
- Evenly top sandwiches with remaining bechamel and cheese. Broil 1–2 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Top each sandwich with a fried egg and serve immediately.
805 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 26G