These crème puffs are simple and sweet.
For Pastry Cream
For Pâte à Choux
- Prepare Pastry Cream: In 3-4 quart saucepan, with heat-safe spatula, stir together milk and ¾ cup sugar; heat to simmering over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, into 2 small bowls, separate the yolks and whites of 4 eggs, reserving the whites for another use. In medium bowl, with whisk, stir remaining ¼ cup sugar and cornstarch; beat in remaining 2 whole eggs and 4 yolks. While continuously stirring egg mixture, gradually beat in about half of the hot milk mixture to temper eggs. Pour tempered egg mixture back into saucepan.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until mixture is very thick and bubbling, but not boiling, stirring constantly with heat-safe spatula. Remove from heat; pour pastry cream through fine-mesh strainer into separate heat-safe medium bowl. Add butter and vanilla, stirring constantly until butter is melted and well combined. Cover with plastic wrap, allowing it to touch the surface of pastry cream and refrigerate until completely cooled, about 1 hour. Makes about 4 cups.
- Prepare Pâte à Choux: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with parchment paper.
- In heavy-bottomed 3-4 quart saucepan, heat water and butter to simmering over medium-high heat; remove from heat. With wooden spoon, stir in flour and salt until combined. Return saucepan to heat; reduce heat to medium. Cook dough 3-4 minutes or until it starts to form a thin crust on bottom of saucepan, stirring constantly; remove from heat. To cool dough, transfer to large bowl; with mixer on low speed, beat 4 to 5 minutes or until dough is 138°F or less. When dough is cool enough, add eggs, 1 at a time, scraping bowl after each addition.
- Place ¼ cup mounds of pâte à choux dough, about 2" apart, onto prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until pâte à choux has puffed, turns golden in color and has a hollow center when tapped on bottom. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To assemble Crème Puffs: With serrated knife, slice 1 puff in half; fill bottom half with about 4-5 tablespoons pastry cream and top with 4-6 raspberries. Place other half of puff on top and dust with powdered sugar. Repeat process with remaining puffs.
340 Calories Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 9G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.