Put your cast iron skillet to work for this one-dish-dinner! No cast iron? No problem! Any ovenproof pan will get the job done.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 5 oz. kale, chopped (yield 2 cups)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups Schnucks vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can butter beans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. Schnucks ground sausage
- 2 tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary, divided
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large ovenproof skillet, bring 2 cups salted water to a boil. Stir in brown rice. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. While the rice cooks, prep ingredients.
- After rice has cooked for 30 minutes, add cauliflower to skillet along with Schnucks vegetable broth and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25–30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse butter beans; add to skillet along with kale. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Return skillet to stovetop and brown Schnucks ground sausage over medium heat.
- Push sausage to one side of skillet and melt 1 tablespoon butter in open area; sauté diced onion 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in flour and whisk until combined. Slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly until all milk is added and there are no flour lumps. Continue to cook 1–2 minutes more or until thickened and bubbly.
- Return rice mixture to pan and stir to coat.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and combine with panko breadcrumbs and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary. Toss with grated Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over rice mixture.
- Bake 4–5 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling around edges.
Cheap Eats Your Way!
Swap sausage for 1 head of broccoli. Separate broccoli into florets and add to skillet 10 minutes after adding cauliflower and broth. Continue as directed.
504 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 9G