Taking a page from French Onion Soup, this hearty chili verde is topped with cheesy tortilla goodness.
- 12 oz. fresh tomatillos, husked
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Schnucks chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 Schnucks 6 inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups Schnucks shredded Mexican-style cheese of choice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, plus more to serve
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- sour cream, to serve (if desired)
- Preheat broiler. Spread tomatillos onto a sheet pan and broil 5–8 minutes, turning occasionally, until blistered and charred on all sides. Cool completely, transfer to a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add pork and onion to pot and cook until browned. Stir in beans, broth, chiles, garlic, cumin and the tomatillo purée. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30–40 minutes or until pork is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place one tortilla on the skillet and top with 1 cup cheese and another tortilla. Cook about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown, turning once halfway through. Repeat with remaining tortillas and cheese. Cut into strips.
- Just before serving, stir spinach, cilantro and lime juice into chili. Serve with quesadilla strips, additional cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
557 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 13G