Coca-Cola is the star ingredient in these pulled pork sandwiches. Whether you use a slow cooker or oven, adding soda creates sweet and savory flavors while also helping the pork keep its moisture and become more tender.
- 5 lb. boneless pork butt or shoulder roast
- 1 liter + 2 cups Coca-Cola, divided
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 tsp. garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup steak sauce
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Kings Hawaiian sweet hamburger buns
- pickle and onion to serve, optional
- Add first pork butt or shoulder roast, 1 liter Coca-Cola, onion, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to slow cooker or covered baking dish.
- Once foaming from Coca-Cola has subsided, sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Cook 6 hours in slow cooker or 3 hours in 350 degrees oven, until meat shreds easily and roast is falling apart.
- Meanwhile, prepare Coca-Cola BBQ sauce by combining 2 cups Coca-Cola, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, steak sauce, lemon juice, onion powder, remaining 1 teaspoon garlic powder and remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Remove roast from cooking vessel. Set aside 1-2 cups of the braising liquid and dump the rest.
- Shred meat and add back to pot. Mix in Coca-Cola BBQ sauce. Add remaining braising liquid as needed when you reheat to keep moist.
- Serve on Kings Hawaiian or soft rolls with sliced pickle, onion, and extra sauce.
357 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 4G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.