Classic Beef Stew with potatoes and carrots is the ultimate comfort food family meal. Follow this step-by-step recipe for cooking old-fashioned beef stew with deep flavor.
- 3 lb. Certified Angus Beef ® chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. coarse kosher salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 large carrots, diagonally cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 lb. Yukon potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- Remove top rack from oven and preheat to 325°F.
- Season chuck roast cubes with salt and pepper. Put half of oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Just as the oil begins to smoke, add half of beef cubes evenly spaced. Brown on most sides and transfer to a plate. Add remaining oil, sear remaining beef cubes; remove from pan.
- Add onions, carrot, garlic and tomato paste. Stir over medium-high heat, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan, 2-3 minutes. Add flour and stir to combine. Add red wine, scraping bottom of pan, then reduce heat to medium low, simmer until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Stir in beef, beef stock, bay leaves and thyme. Return to a boil, again scraping sides and bottom clean; put lid on Dutch oven and place in the oven. Cook for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and rosemary and continue to cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, approximately 1 hour. If needed, add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve Classic Beef Stew, garnished with fresh parsley.
400 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 3.5G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.