This dessert is deep fried and delicious.
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 115°F)
- 1/4 cup Schnucks granulated sugar
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 4 cups Schnucks all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1/2 cup Schnucks evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Schnucks large egg
- Schnucks nonstick cooking spray
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 1 (13 oz.) jar chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 cups Schnucks powdered sugar, for dusting
- In bowl of stand mixer with dough hook, stir water, sugar and yeast; let stand 5 minutes. Add flour, evaporated milk, butter, salt and egg; mix on low speed 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium; mix 2 minutes.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; gently knead 2 minutes or until dough is smooth, dusting dough with flour as needed (dough will be very sticky). Spray large bowl with cooking spray; transfer dough to prepared bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand in warm place 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; punch down dough. Dust rolling pin with flour; roll dough into 12 x 16" rectangle. Using a ruler as a guide, cut dough into 2" squares.
- Attach candy thermometer to side of 4-quart saucepot. Fill pot with 2 inches of oil; heat oil to 375°F. Carefully add 3-4 beignets to hot oil; cook 1-1 1/2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking. With slotted spoon, transfer beignets to paper towel-lined cookie sheet to drain. Repeat process to cook remaining beignets; add additional oil to pot if necessary and reheat to 375°F.
- Fill pastry bag fitted with small round piping tip with hazelnut spread. Gently insert piping tip about 1/4 inch into side of each beignet; squeeze bag while slowly pulling out tip to fill. In large bowl, toss beignets in powdered sugar.
The beignets taste best served the day they are made. You can make this recipe without using a stand mixer by stirring the ingredients together by hand in a large mixing bowl and kneading dough for 7-9 minutes until it’s smooth, dusting with flour as needed.
385 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 7G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.