Any chip would be lucky to be a receptacle for this gameday classic.
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks unsalted butter
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 poblano chile pepper, finely diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 cup Schnucks vitamin D whole milk
- 1 pkg. Schnucks Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. pasteurized prepared cheese product (Velveeta), cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup canned Schnucks petite diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- Schnucks tortilla chips or corn chips
- In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add jalapeño and poblano chile peppers and onion and cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and cook, uncovered, 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add flour and cumin and cook 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add milk to saucepan and heat to boiling, stirring frequently with whisk until mixture thickens. Reduce heat to medium-low; add cheeses, about 1/4 cup at a time and whisking after each addition until cheese melts. Stir in tomatoes. Transfer dip to small chafing dish or slow cooker on warm setting. Serve with chips.
As the jalapeño membranes contain most of the chile’s heat, you may choose to leave some intact depending on how spicy you prefer your queso.
30 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 1G