Tired of the same old hot cocoa recipe? Switch it up with this rich and creamy warm Mexican beverage that is sure to satisfy.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Masa Harina corn flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 2 tbsp. packed coconut sugar
- 1 (3.5 oz.) Culinaria Belgian cocoa nibs 70% dark chocolate bar, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a medium pot, add cinnamon stick, star anise and 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to low boil over medium heat before simmering 10–12 minutes. Remove spices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk masa harina, salt and 1 cup very hot water until no lumps remain, about 3–5 minutes. Set aside.
- To the pot of prepared spiced water, add finely chopped chocolate with sugar, milk and cayenne pepper (if using). Bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally, until chocolate and sugar dissolve, about 5 minutes.
- Pour masa harina mixture into pot while whisking continuously. Turn heat up to medium-high and bring to low boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10–12 minutes or until thickened. Serve immediately.
190 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 5G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.