Is there really anything mac ‘n’ cheese isn’t good with? It’s easy to get veggies into your meal with this tasty recipe!
- 12 oz. whole wheat elbow pasta
- 12 oz. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 8 oz. reduced fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To a large pot of boiling water add pasta and Brussels sprouts. Return to a simmer and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5–6 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- To a large skillet, add butter and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onion is softened. Add flour and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute or until flour is combined. Add milk and chicken broth. Whisk continuously until the mixture comes to a gentle boil and cook, stirring frequently, 4–5 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Remove from heat and add Cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and creamy. Add cooked pasta and Brussels sprouts; toss to combine with cheese sauce.
- To a 3-quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray, add pasta mixture. Top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Spray top with nonstick cooking spray and bake 18–20 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- To serve, garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
456 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 8G