Sweet corn and fried green tomatoes make this surf and turf dish an ode to southern living. This is the type of meal that begs to be savored!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15.25 oz.) can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 (6 oz.) can white crabmeat, drained, or 1 (8 oz.) pkg. TransOcean Shred-Style Crab Classic
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 milk
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 Schnucks Certified Angus Beef filet mignon steaks, patted dry
- 1/4 cup no-salt blackened seasoning
- vegetable oil, for frying
- chopped fresh parsley, to serve (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat; sauté onion 8–10 minutes or until browned and tender. Add corn and sauté 2 minutes more. Pour in broth, cream and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Strain back into the saucepan through a fine-mesh sieve. Stir in crab and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover to keep warm.
- Add flour to a wide bowl. In a second wide bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. In a third wide bowl, combine cornmeal and breadcrumbs. Shaking off excess after each addition, coat tomato slices in flour, then egg mixture and finally cornmeal mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if desired; set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottom ovenproof skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high. Coat steaks with blackened seasoning, add to skillet and cook about 2 minutes per side or until well seared. Transfer skillet to oven and cook 6–8 minutes or until steaks reach desired doneness (minimum internal temperature should be 145 degrees). Transfer steaks to a board or plate, cover with foil and set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean and return to range; heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil over medium. Working in batches if necessary, fry prepared tomato slices in a single layer, about 2 minutes per side or until crisp and golden-brown. Using a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon, remove tomatoes from skillet and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Season with salt, if desired.
- Serve steaks and fried tomato slices topped with crab sweet corn sauce and—if using—chopped parsley.
1107 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 28G
Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe.