Hearty, tender and easy on the budget. This healthful beef soup will warm your heart as it put smiles on their faces.
- 2 lbs. Certified Angus Beef® round steaks, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. pepper, divided
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, 1/2-inch diced
- 2 ribs celery, 1/2-inch diced
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup pearled barley
- Season beef with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot add oil and set heat to medium high; sear beef on two sides, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low. Add onion, carrot and celery; simmer 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, beef stock, bay leaf and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Add barley and simmer another 30 minutes, uncovered.
330 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 4G