For a lightened up version of a classic Italian recipe, this baked eggplant parmesan is served over whole wheat pasta.
- 2 (1 lb.) medium eggplants, sliced lengthwise 1/2–3/4 inch thick
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. Schnucks Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup pasta sauce
- 1 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves, to serve
- 8 oz. whole-wheat pasta, divided to serve
- Place eggplant slices on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkle both sides with salt. Let stand 30 minutes then pat eggplant dry with more paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add eggs to a shallow dish. In a second shallow dish, stir together breadcrumbs, Parmesan, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Dip eggplant slices in egg then coat in panko mixture.
- Grease a parchment-lined sheet pan with olive oil. Arrange eggplant slices on prepared pan and bake, turning once halfway through, 30–35 minutes or until tender.
- Increase temperature to 450 degrees. Top eggplant slices with pasta sauce and mozzarella. Bake 6–8 minutes more or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with basil and serve over 2 ounces of pasta per serving.
550 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 7G