Looking for a pie recipe that will feed a larger group? The apple cranberry slab pie is a delicious solution. Featuring fresh apples, dried cranberries, cinnamon and nutmeg; you will impress your guests with this sweet dessert.
- Schnucks nonstick cooking spray
- 1 small lemon
- 4 lb. Stemilt Braeburn, Fuji or Granny Smith Lil Snappers, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup Schnucks sweetened dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup Schnucks granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. McCormick ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. Schnucks ground nutmeg
- 2 pkgs. refrigerated rolled pie crusts, softened
- 2 cups Schnucks cornflakes, crushed to 3/4 cup
- 2 tbsp. Schnucks unsalted butter
- 1 large Schnucks egg
- 1 tbsp. Schnucks whole milk
- Schnucks all-purpose flour, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray bottom of large rimmed baking pan with nonstick baking spray. From lemon, squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. In large bowl, toss apples and cranberries with lemon juice. In small bowl, stir sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Sprinkle sugar mixture over apples; gently toss until apples are well coated.
- On lightly floured surface, unwrap, unroll and stack 2 crusts on top of each other. With rolling pin, roll crusts to 18 x 13" rectangle. Transfer crust to prepared pan, pressing into corners. Dough should drape over edges of pan by about 3/4 inch; trim edges if necessary. Evenly sprinkle cornflakes over crust; spread apple mixture over cornflakes. Dot with butter.
- On lightly floured surface, repeat with remaining 2 crusts, rolling to 16 x 11" rectangle; place over filling. Fold edges of bottom crust over edges of top crust; with fingers, crimp crust edges tightly to seal.
- In small bowl, with whisk, beat egg and milk. With small brush, evenly brush top of crust with egg mixture. With paring knife, cut twelve ½" slits in top crust.
- Bake pie 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until filling bubbles and top is golden brown; cool on wire rack 45 minutes. Cut pie into 3 strips lengthwise, then cut each strip into 6 pieces to serve. Can be served warm or cool completely to serve at room temperature.
251 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 3G