Classic Canadian comfort gets a fresh, seasonal upgrade from sautéed kale and a tangy apple cider sauce that straddles the line between gravy and vinaigrette. Think of the French fries as croutons.
- 1/2 (26 - 32 oz.) bag frozen French fries
- 10 oz. chopped fresh kale, washed
- 5 tbsp. Schnucks unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup Schnucks low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1 tbsp. Schnucks olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cheese curds
- 1 cups shredded Schnucks rotisserie chicken, warmed
- Prepare French fries according to package directions. Keep warm.
- In a small saucepan melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add shallot, sage and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes or until shallots are just crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Sprinkle shallots with flour and cook, stirring frequently, 1–2 minutes more. Gradually whisk in broth, apple cider and 2 tablespoons vinegar. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add kale, cover and cook 1 minute. Uncover. Cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute more or until just wilted. Toss with remaining vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Transfer kale to a serving bowl. Top with French fries, cheese curds and rotisserie chicken. Drizzle with cider gravy and serve immediately.
427 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 13G