Way back in the 1930’s, Edwin Schnuck and his wife, Anna, were looking for a place to sell Anna’s potato salad, a family favorite. Edwin owned his own wholesale meat packaging business and worked out of the family kitchen. Anna’s potato salad accompanied many meals and was shared with friends and neighbors. Edwin and Anna had dreamed of opening their own store. And so, in 1939, they opened their first store in North St. Louis. Their friends and neighbors became their customers and that potato salad recipe–well, it has stood the rest of time!
- 4 lbs. red potatoes
- 8 slices bacon
- 3/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- Wash potatoes, peel and dice 3/4 inch.
- Boil potatoes in salted water (one teaspoon per gallon) for eight to ten minutes. Cook until done, but firm. Drain and cool.
- Chop bacon, cook, drain and hold.
- Chop tomato and basil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and seasonings.
- Add bacon, onion and tomato to bowl.
- Fold in potatoes.
Use less bacon or substitute turkey bacon as a healthier alternative.
300 CALORIES Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 6G