NEWS RELEASES / 3/25/2020
Taking Care of Our Teammates
In the past couple of weeks, we’ve seen unprecedented demand in our stores as customer concerns grew about COVID-19, and you have seen us make adjustments as a result – from altered store hours, to a special shopping hour for seniors and those most at risk, to deploying teammates from our corporate office to serve customers in our stores. There is a lot of uncertainty but I want to assure our loyal customers of this: Schnucks will be here for you and your families.
We continue to work with suppliers to get products on our shelves as quickly as possible, and we continue to hire new teammates to help us serve our customers. (If you know someone looking for temporary employment, we’re still hiring!) Thank you for the compassion and gratitude you have shown our teammates.
I’ve spoken to many of our teammates over the past few weeks and I’m so proud of the dedication and commitment they have demonstrated to our customers. Our teammates have always been the key to our success and how they have responded in recent weeks reinforces why, for years, we continue to be known as “The Friendliest Stores in Town.” Schnucks teammates have stood united as one team of merchants through these especially difficult weeks, and I’ve never been more proud to be a Schnucks teammate than I am today.
Many of our customers have gone out of their way to say thank you to Schnucks teammates – over the past few weeks especially. I want our customers to know just how much your appreciation means to us, and I also want you to know that we are committed to taking care of the Schnucks teammates who are taking care of you during these difficult times.
- We are providing a special teammate bonus, in gratitude for how hard teammates have been working to address our customers’ needs under challenging conditions. All qualified teammates will receive a bonus – including store teammates who are full-time hourly ($500 bonus) and store teammates who are part-time hourly ($250 bonus). We have also shared with teammates that we have pay procedures in place should they contract COVID-19 or if they are subject to a mandatory quarantine.
- In addition to continuing to reinforce the CDC’s recommendations for reducing the spread of viruses like COVID-19, (which includes frequent hand washing and repeated cleaning of high touch areas within our stores), we are also taking other measures to protect teammates and customers. This includes in-store signage that explains the importance of social distancing and suggested spacing as well as frequent overhead announcements sharing that same reminder.
- This week you will also begin to see plexiglass protectors at our checklanes, pharmacy counters, and service counters. This extra layer of protection allows us to practice social distancing in areas of the store where it may have normally been more difficult. Schnucks is also providing facemasks for teammates to wear during their work shift.
- We’re working with several restaurants in our communities to purchase in-store catering several days a week at no cost to our teammates. We want to be sure that our teammates can refuel and re-energize, and being able to have a provided meal gives them one less thing to worry about during these times where there is already so much uncertainty. This also allows us to support many of our fantastic local restaurants while they are experiencing extreme uncertainty in their businesses – a solution that unites our communities during these trying times.
- We are providing water, protein bars and fruit in teammate break rooms to help remind them to refuel and hydrate to fight fatigue on their breaks.
Indeed we are in uncharted territory, and as we all work to overcome the consequences resulting from this pandemic, I am emboldened by the fact that we’re all in this together and the human spirit will prevail.
While we believe we serve in a noble profession and recognize the important service we provide to the community, there have been few times in our history where local grocers have been seen as critical to people and communities as we are in this very moment. The hard work and dedication of our teammates to our customers has not gone unnoticed and we join together in thanking them for continuing to Nourish People’s Lives in these demanding times.
Chairman and CEO
Schnuck Markets, Inc.