Chili? Good. Cornbread? Good. Chili-cornbread? Great.
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Schnucks chili powder
- 1 tsp Schnucks ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- (1) 15 oz can Schnucks black or red beans, drained and rinsed
- (1) 10 oz can original diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- (1) 8 oz can no-salt added tomato sauce
- ½ cup less-sodium beef broth or water
- (1) 8 oz can corn, drained
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 1 pkg cornbread & muffin mix
- 1 large Schnucks egg
- ¼ cup Schnucks vitamin D whole milk
- 2 tbsp Schnucks unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup Schnucks shredded Cheddar cheese
- Prepare Chili: Preheat oven to 350°F. In medium cast iron skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until browned, breaking up beef with side of spoon; drain drippings.
- tir in bell pepper and onion; cook 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and broth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn and cilantro; remove from heat.
- Prepare Cornbread Topping: In large bowl, add cornbread mix. In medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk and butter until combined. Add egg mixture to cornbread mix; whisk until just combined.
- Dollop cornbread mixture over top of chili mixture; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving; garnish with cilantro, if desired.
386 Calories Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 7G